Root Vegetables, Fall and YouFall is approaching and root vegetables are fresh in the local markets. Eating seasonal foods is a great way to help your body adjust to changing seasons.
Plus, root vegetables are a great source of nutrition. Root vegetables include any vegetable that grows below ground, such as carrots, sweet potatoes, onions, beets, and garlic. By all accounts, the popularity of root vegetables predates civilization. Reports show that, over five thousand years ago, sweet potatoes and other root vegetables were used as medicine and able to support many families suffering from undernourishment.
Root veggies are a great source of nutrients such as dietary fiber, Vitamin A and C, magnesium and potassium. Some benefits include fighting obesity, cancer, diabetes, arthritis, and cardiovascular problems.
Here is a list of a few of the most common root vegetables and their health benefits.
Carrots are extremely common and can be ingested raw, juiced or cooked. Some reasons why people love carrots include:
• A cup of carrot juice provides the daily requirements of minerals such as Potassium and Manganese, and Vitamins A, B, C, E, and K.
• Have the ability to protect the eyes against cataracts and glaucoma. Eating carrots every day will improve eyesight and also give protection from heart diseases and colon cancer.
• Its orange color is known to come from carotenoids and antioxidants. This helps to maintain the health of your skin and eyes.
Sweet potatoes are a tasty and sweet root vegetable, hence a top pick for most people. Some health benefits of sweet potatoes include:
• They have a lower GI (glycemic index) compared to traditional white potatoes. This helps the body to maintain the right blood sugar level.
• They are great sources of minerals like phosphorus, copper, potassium, and manganese. In addition, they are rich in vitamins B and C.
• They have high amounts of fiber.
• These root vegetables give the body the best source of Vitamin A which is important for healthy teeth, vision, skin and skeletal tissue.
There are numerous health benefits of using beets in your diet. Some of them include:
• They contain minerals and vitamins such as iron, potassium, folate, magnesium, and vitamins B6 and C. B6 is necessary for the development and functioning of a healthy brain.
• They are necessary for keeping the eyes and the nervous system healthy. Also, they are known to prevent various types of cancer and heart disorders.
• Naturally, they help the body to get rid of toxic substances and increase metabolism. This helps you maintain peak energy while performing in sports and helps recover better after strenuous exercise.
People either love these root vegetables or hate them; but their health benefits are excellent. Some benefits of onions rice cooker manufacturer in your diet include:
• Contain high amounts of vitamin C necessary for the development of collagen. Collagen helps to maintain the health of hair and skin.
• They have antibacterial properties that improve the normal operation of the body.
• They are rich in minerals, antioxidants, and vitamins such as potassium and magnesium. Onions reduce the risks of getting colon, prostate and stomach cancer.
• Contain folate, which helps reduce stress and depression.
These are in the same category with parsley, carrots, and celery. Most of the benefits are those found in carrots and celery. Some benefits of parsnips in your diet include:
• They are good sources of folate, vitamin C, potassium and dietary fiber.
• Decrease the risk of high blood cholesterol and diabetes.
• Important in body metabolism, synthesis of DNA, the health of the nervous system and formation of erythrocytes.
There are many other root vegetables which are very helpful when used in our daily diets. Consider maximizing your root vegetables intake for better health.
Fun fact: In some countries, people avoid eating ginger too late in the evening, for fear that it will keep them awake. Could this be nature's caffeine?